About Elizabeth Jolliffe
Before I became a lawyer coach, I practiced law as a commercial litigator for nearly 20 years at a large law firm headquartered in Detroit, Michigan. As a partner and litigator, my clients included Fortune 500 companies, medium and small businesses, and individuals.
I informally mentored and coached my colleagues and friends during those years. As a partner and former Recruiting Committee Chair, I knew the importance of building on lawyers’ strengths to help them, our clients and our firm. Eventually I realized that my professional development role was more stimulating and fulfilling than contract disputes.
As I re-read Jim Collins’ Good to Great, an idea took shape and I did my due diligence. Seeing an unmet need in our profession, I decided to combine my skills, experience, and passion to help individual lawyers build on their strengths and take charge of their practice and career. I trained as a coach and left the firm in May 2008 to start my coaching practice.
I practice what I preach about business development by staying very involved with my target market – lawyers. I love combining my legal experience with coaching to make a difference in my clients’ lives and in the legal profession.
“I appreciate the reinforcement you provided me to stick with my core values of what I wanted in my next job, and the courage and determination to hang in there (and network!) until the right fit came along….” Experienced private practice & government lawyer
“You have an amazing knack for reaching individuals and helping them think constructively about issues specific to their lives.” Experienced female lawyer, medium firm
- B.A. (1986) and J.D. (1989) from the University of Michigan
- C.P.C.C. (2009) from The Coaches Training Institute
- Detroit Bar Association, President 2011-2012 (f.k.a. Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association)
- Detroit Bar Association Inn of Court Organizing Committee, 2012-2018
- Washtenaw County Bar Association, President 2018-2019
- Women Lawyers Assoc. of MI – Wayne region President 2013-2014, Washtenaw region member, former state board member
- Ypsilanti Bar Association, 2009-2020
- State Bar of Michigan Rep. Assembly – rep. for Washtenaw County, 2009-2017, 2019-present
- ABA Women Rainmakers, 2011-2019
- C’tee to Elect Arianne Slay for Washtenaw County Prosecutor, Kitchen Cabinet Member 2019-2020
- Bench Bar Culinary Challenge for Charity – Grilling For Good! organizing committee 2010-present
- AV Peer Review Rating Martindale Hubbell
- Recipient of Women Lawyers Association of Michigan’s inaugural Regional Leadership Award, 2012
- A recipient of the 2013 Women in the Law award presented by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Recipient of the 2015 Distinguished Advocate Award from the Women’s Bar Association a.k.a. Oakland Region of Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Recipient of the 2015 Firm Foundation Award from the Barristers Section of the Detroit Bar Assoc.
- Recipient of the 2016 President’s Award from the Detroit Bar Association
- Summer Camp Scholarships, board member, 2014-present
- Chapter Advisor, Alpha Phi International, Theta Chapter, University of Michigan, 2017-2019
- Detroit Association of University of Michigan Women, President 1996-1998
Frequent speaker and author of articles on business development, career management, networking, job searching and social media.