About Elizabeth Jolliffe
Before I became a lawyer coach, I practiced law as a commercial litigator for nearly 20 years at a large law firm headquartered in Detroit, Michigan. As a partner and litigator, my clients included Fortune 500 companies, medium and small businesses, and individuals.
I informally mentored and coached my colleagues and friends during those years. As a partner and former Recruiting Committee Chair, I knew the importance of building on lawyers’ strengths to help them, our clients and our firm. Eventually I realized that my professional development role was more stimulating and fulfilling than contract disputes.
As I re-read Jim Collins’ Good to Great, an idea took shape and I did my due diligence. Seeing an unmet need in our profession, I decided to combine my skills, experience, and passion to help individual lawyers build on their strengths and take charge of their practice and career. I trained as a coach and left the firm in May 2008 to start my coaching practice.
I practice what I preach about business development by staying very involved with my target market — lawyers. I love combining my legal experience with coaching to make a difference in my clients’ lives and in the legal profession.
Please contact me if you are ready to start making changes. Feel free to review my LinkedIn profile as well.
“I am grateful to both Elizabeth and the person who referred me to her. Elizabeth is an amazing resource for anyone who is invested in improving their business development skills, their career and overall quality of life….” Senior associate, large firm
“I appreciate the reinforcement you provided me to stick with my core values of what I wanted in my next job, and the courage and determination to hang in there (and network!) until the right fit came along….” Experienced private practice & government lawyer
“You have an amazing knack for reaching individuals and helping them think constructively about issues specific to their lives.” Experienced female lawyer, medium firm
- B.A. (1986) and J.D. (1989) from the University of Michigan
- C.P.C.C. (2009) from The Coaches Training Institute
- Detroit Bar Association, President 2011-2012 (f.k.a. Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association)
- Detroit Bar Association Inn of Court Organizing Committee, 2012-2018
- Washtenaw County Bar Association, President 2018-2019
- Women Lawyers Assoc. of MI – Wayne region President 2013-2014, Washtenaw region member, former state board member
- Ypsilanti Bar Association, 2009-2020
- State Bar of Michigan Rep. Assembly – rep. for Washtenaw County, 2009-2017, 2019-present
- ABA Women Rainmakers, 2011-2019, 2022-present
- C’tee to Elect Arianne Slay for Washtenaw County Prosecutor, Kitchen Cabinet Member 2019-2020
- Bench Bar Culinary Challenge for Charity – Grilling For Good! organizing committee 2010-present
- AV Peer Review Rating Martindale Hubbell
- Recipient of Women Lawyers Association of Michigan’s inaugural Regional Leadership Award, 2012
- A recipient of the 2013 Women in the Law award presented by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Recipient of the 2015 Distinguished Advocate Award from the Women’s Bar Association a.k.a. Oakland Region of Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Recipient of the 2015 Firm Foundation Award from the Barristers Section of the Detroit Bar Assoc.
- Recipient of the 2016 President’s Award from the Detroit Bar Association
- Summer Camp Scholarships, board member, 2014-present
- Chapter Advisor, Alpha Phi International, Theta Chapter, University of Michigan, 2017-2019
- Detroit Association of University of Michigan Women, President 1996-1998
Frequent speaker and author of articles on business development, career management, networking, job searching and social media.